Those of you who know me personally know that being still is not a strength of mine. I am always moving, always going forward, and (hopefully) always growing. It’s my pleasure to announce that I completed the requirements for my degree this past weekend in Cooperstown and was awarded with a master’s in Museum Studies. Awhile ago I told myself that I would dedicate my thesis to chocolate covered espresso beans, but my MA gets more than that. In two years I have…
- Driven from Chicago to Cooperstown 8 times
- Taken over 25 courses in Museums, History, Art, Collections, Admin, Ed, & Exhibitions
- Worked with 10 organizations across the country
- Drafted a thesis over 15 times
- Bonded, challenged, embraced, and was inspired by 48 classmates
- Visited the brewery Ommegang enough times that I can’t share
So what now?! I have another degree. I have officially made the move back to Chicago. I have submitted quite a few applications. I have made phone calls. I have interviewed. I have new business cards. I have pondered the difference between “job searching” and “unemployed”. I am trying to be patient. I know that the right fit will come to me.
So all of you emerging museum professionals, what tips do you have for job searches? I know I’m not the only one out there that has become best friends with the job boards. Share your secrets for the good of the group and I’ll pass along your wisdom to the masses!